Under Construction Daily

Sunday, May 21, 2006

Whiplash Finale

Week 6 of Whiplash--I made it!
whipup
And I finally made the project I wanted to make from the beginning, a onesie quilt. It's colorful, it fits the theme of "colors," right? Our little biscuit is outgrowing the onesies I dyed and screenprinted for her Christmas gift and I love them so I made them into a quilt with a few other special onesies made by friends and family. Here they are this morning:
And here they are now (the following 3 pictures are for my Whiplash! entry--the limit is technically 3):
This quilt brought to you by the 2 hour nap!
And a close up:
I've made a number of t-shirt quilts out of adult shirts but this one might be my favorite. I ran to the store last night to get the backing fabric and interfacing. The shirts are each surrounded by scrap fabric to make a COLORFUL quilt. The whole thing is tied with embroidery floss and top stitched on the edge. It has cotton batting. All in all, it took a few hours and came out great (much better than last week!)

And, in case you saw last week's entry and got a chuckle out of the misfitting t-shirt, an update that Leopold got some new clothes (the secret is stretchy knits from a thrift store sweater!) and is now at his new home with one year old Matthew. Hope he's loved (despite his 70's style vest and weird ascot).

And one last shot of a very sad baby moments before I took her cutest onesie and cut it up.

9 Comments:

  • This is really great! You made the onesies yourself, did you use freezer paper? I like the backing fabrics too!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Sunday, May 21, 2006  

  • P.S. Laura has asked about freezer paper and it is quite a craze going around the blogosphere but the onesies were screen printed. Through the craft center at UC Davis I have access to real (professional type) screen printing supplies. I like it better than freezer paper and you get way more detail but it's much more labor intensive for a small project.

    By Blogger Melissa Haworth, at Sunday, May 21, 2006  

  • This is fabulous! What a perfect use for all those wonderfully designed onesies. Great job!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Sunday, May 21, 2006  

  • Lovely - I have some more for you to use - lots of pink!!!!!

    By Blogger julie, at Sunday, May 21, 2006  

  • Adorable. Might be my favorite too! :) Love Leo's new clothes...

    By Blogger farfromca, at Monday, May 22, 2006  

  • LOL Now, you see! Nothing wrong with Leopold, the young lion, after he stopped using his little sister's clothes! I think the new outfit is great :-) Well done :-)
    I love the quilt too :-) Great idea and well done :-)

    By Blogger Ketutar, at Monday, May 22, 2006  

  • Melissa
    Nice job I hope you win. You did a great job. I really liked the lion.
    love
    dad

    By Blogger halfoz, at Monday, May 22, 2006  

  • What a great idea! I am totally going to use it one day!

    By Blogger Marti, at Wednesday, May 24, 2006  

  • Awww, this will become more and more precious as your cutie pie gets bigger and bigger! Beautiful!

    By Blogger Regina, at Wednesday, May 24, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home