Under Construction Daily

Sunday, April 23, 2006

Surly before coffee

I had so much fun last week with the Whiplash competition! (congrats to the very deserving winners)
whipup

I promised myself I'd enter every week and use the competition as inspiration to get stuff done.

I've had one side of a duvet cover done for, oh, about two years and never could decide how to finish it off. The front is an ivory eylet I cut into squares and then put back together with a bit of detail in the seams (you can sort of see it below).

Yesterday I realized that it's the BACK of a duvet cover, who cares what it looks like! So I took my inspiration from the Whiplash theme, "your surly side" and made a surly side to my duvet.

After all, I'm not a very surly person except when the alarm goes off and I don't want to get out of bed (read, every morning).
Here's the final product:
Mostly green to match the walls with a smattering of pink to go with the nightstand I painted.
Other inspirations

  • Freezer paper (except I used letter stickers 'cause I'm not patient enough to cut all that out of freezer paper and screen printing ink because it's all I had on hand)
  • Use what you have month (I didn't buy a single thing for this project except the stickers)
  • The random checked fabric I bought for a baby quilt and love but never used
  • The idea of a surly SIDE as in a 2 sided object (eleleo had the same concept with much better execution)


P.S. After seeing this I thought everyone would make placemats with one surly side and one girly side. So far no placemats....

6 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home