Under Construction Daily

Sunday, May 07, 2006

Phone Book Art


whipup
It's week 4 of Whiplash and entries are down for the Chic to Classic theme. This was perfect for me as I received a classic style phone for my nook for Christmas which Mr. H installed for my birthday. It looks and works great but the nook needed a little something more...something chic.

I was inspired to make a piece of art entirely out of phone books so last night I tore up my yellow and white pages. I wove 1 inch strips of white pages into a grid and topped with squares from the yellow pages and the color coded edges of the yellow pages. Can you tell I usually do quilting?

Here it is hanging in the nook. Yes, a bit small but better than nothing. See the "classic" phone? I rather like the whole project and even Mr. H commented that it was neat (although he's still more impressed with his installation).

And now a bit of trivia I picked up in the course of this project:

  • There is a website, phoneart.com. devoted to images of phones. Some guy maintains it, "for fun."
  • The yellow pages are now color coded (see photo below, not part of my Whiplash entry). The orange section is....attorneys! Green is coupons.
  • You can make a custom phone cord of any length using a special tool (that we now own). Again, see photo below of our perfect, 8" phone cord.

9 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home