Under Construction Daily

Friday, March 03, 2006

I see why the mommy bloggers are mostly full time moms

So I just learned that I may have a second reader which inspired me to make another post (instead of working). It's been an absolutely nutty week. We got baby back to daycare on Monday after much illness last week. Monday was another road trip but with a boss that is more understanding of the needs of the boobs.

Tuesday night we had a meeting with an insurance broker about life insurance (the things you think about when you have a baby). As an aside, never try to get life insurance for a diabetic. As another aside, the guy had a serious overshare problem. Within 5 minutes of meeting him, I knew that his parent's had divorced when he was in high school, he and his wife are trying to get pregnant and he has some sort of problem with his testicles that involves pooling blood.

But let's talk about life insurance!!

So he left and about 20 minutes later baby threw up all over. And then she threw up again. And then she wouldn't stop so we raced off to the ER on the advice of the doctor on call. Well, we got to the hospital at about 9 p.m. with a baby we could barely wake up. We saw the triage nurse and we waited...

and waited....

at about 10:30 she started to perk up and seem much better. And still
we waited....

and then, at midnight I finally gave her a little snack and she kept it down and just then they called our name.

So we went into a little room in the ER and, you guessed it, we waited!

We gave the same story of what happened over and over and by this time, baby was so happy and healthy we had to swear she'd been sick at all.

I guess when you've waited that long they want to make it worth your while so we got to see two doctors (one of whom had the distinct pleasure of sticking his finger up her little baby butt to look for blood in her stool), then we got to have x-rays, then more x-rays, then finally, at 4 a.m. they said, "nothing appears to be wrong, just keep an eye on her."

Gosh, thanks for that insight, she's been fine since 10:30 p.m. Of course I can't complain. I'd rather wait until 4 a.m. to find out she's fine than learn that something is seriously wrong!
And, she's still fine. A bit of a lingering cough from her cold but that's it. All meals are staying safely in her stomach until they (not so safely) exit into the diaper.

So, in the good old ER, Tuesday became Wednesday and Wednesday was a blur of tiredness at work and I got home and passed out and Wednesday became Thursday and now it's Friday with no posts. You can tell I've been busy as I was three posts behind on reading Dooce.com. Thank you to my faithful reader(s). I'll try to be better next week.

1 Comments:

  • I am out of the loop. Here I have lunch with you on Friday and didn't even know Paige was so sick on Tuesday. I'm sorry to hear you and Mr. H went through so much at the ER. Where are Dr. Carter or Dr. McDreamy when you need them? Oh wait. That's the kind of ER I would want. You probably want someone with baby specialities. Well, anyway, get the drift. I am glad Paige is better. Let's get together soon for crafty goodness.

    By Blogger sactownkid, at Saturday, March 04, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home